Plus: &Walsh, Kanye West, Mojo Supermarket, Deutsch LA, Majority, Thirstcraft, Shepard Fairey, Anomaly, TBWA\Chiat\DAY, R/GA, Droga5, & Highdive
Originally published on August 1, 2021. Subscribe for campaigns directly to your inbox → KETCHUP.
Simone Biles America’s athletic superstar has said “back the f*ck up,” well she didn’t say that, but she did withdraw in the middle of an Olympics to focus on her mental health. A gold medal win the world did not know it needed.
- Gold: Toyota made a bold move when they pulled their Olympics-related TV commercials in Japan in protest of the deeply unpopular event.
- Silver: Olympian & Paralympian Online Experiences by Airbnb — Allows super fans to connect and engage with our world’s heroes over zoom.
- Bronze: The Unsponsored by Anomaly — Ally Financial committed $250,000 towards non-sponsored athletes they found through GoFundMe in hopes that they make it to the 2024 games.
Spotlight: The Land of Random
My favorite newsletter to get inspiration on all things internet and culture. Their latest issue taught me about the rise of cloning voices in films *yikes* that means bringing people back from the dead. The very questionable practice was just aced by AI for Anthony Bourdain in “Roadrunner.”
🧨👇The good stuff 🧨👇
Fork (Top Campaigns)
- Vax That Thang Up by Majority — Dating app BLK remixes Juvenile’s iconic 1999 song “Back That Thang Up” to encourage people to get vaccinated.
- Live Your Truth by Kanye West — Sha’Carri Richardson stars in Beats by Dre’s drop for West’s new album.
- Love, Lawyers & The Government by TBWA\Chiat\DAY NY– Showcases the complicated path to parenthood for the LGBTQ+ community.
- Not Your Mother’s Tiffany by Tiffany & Co. — LVMH angering moms across the US with their bold headlines to try and bring the brand back from the dead.
- Preservation Play by R/GA London — Is utilizing YouTube for video view monetization to raise money for environmental NGOs with soothing nature playlists.
- The Public Service Banger by Colenso BBDO — Produced a dubstep Public Service Announcement & music video that will play all summer at NZ’s music festivals.
- Let’s Play Chicken Wars by Highdive — Airheads did the unimaginable, they joined the KFC vs. Burger King vs. Chick-Fil-A vs. McDonald … chicken sandwich battle.
- Skate Nation Ghana by Droga5 — Facebook has been featuring new Olympic sports like skateboarding and surfing to show how people in each use Facebook to find community.
- Imagined a Place by Discord — Inspired by fans, Discord releases its wonderful wild Fortnite-like world with Danny DeVito as its champion.
- RIP Earth. Cause of Death: Apathy by &Walsh — Decides to use apathy instead of fear to get people to pay attention to the TED Countdown campaign.
- Fry Force by Deutsch LA — Taco Bell jumps into branded entertainment with a nostalgic anime mission to protect TB’s Nacho Fries.
Knife (Top Products)
- Meltdown Flags by Moby Diggs — A smart visualization of glaciers melting across the globe through country flags.
- Brewgooder redesign by Thirstcraft — Brewed with purpose, this beer brand is turning drinkers into advocates.
- Los Angeles Tourism taps Shepard Fairey — Gives LA a new street-level cool logo and brand identity.
- Kraft Mac-N-Cheese x Van Leeuwen Ice Cream — This dairy scoop crashed the website and sold out in minutes.
- Lil Nas X — Industry Baby (Prelude) — Pokes fun at Nike’s lawsuit over Lil Nas X’s Satan Shoes drop with MSCHF
- Claima Stories with Bimma: Storytella Road Trip — Launches a mobile podcast studio to capture stories of BIPOC small business owners in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vegas, and Phoenix.
- Joe Biden on Giphy — JB’s social media team hits 1B in Gif views
- Mo Said Interview — Founder of Mojo Supermarket gets real & talks disruptive ads
- Kimberley Ragan Interview — Head of Brand Experience at Colenso BBDO shares her creative journey.
- Lift Type — Drops a beautiful new Tartuffo font.
- The Great Jones Cookware Illusion — The scathing truth of millennial DTC brands.
- Tech Portfolios Tips — Recent grads talk about the portfolios that got them jobs.
- Spotify Culture Report — How Millennials and Gen Z are redefining audio
- Emmy Nominated — Commercials going for gold.
- @dongtent — The funniest copywriter on Twitter!
- Six Hundred & Rising — A collective to advocate for Black voices in advertising & PR.
& that’s the sauce!
Like what you are reading? Hit that share button and get Ketchup in your friend’s inboxes!
Drop your favorite campaigns in the comments & let’s discuss 👇👇